Nuclear Opportunities Workshop (N.O.W.)
The East Tennessee Economic Council’s nuclear suppliers event returned in 2022 as the Nuclear Opportunities Workshop.
Over 150 people joined us in Oak Ridge, Tennessee on August 1 for an evening reception from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at the American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge. Community leaders, stakeholders, conference attendees, DOE employees, ETEC members companies, students, interns, and early career professionals enjoyed meeting and interacting with each other before the workshop.
The event on Tuesday, August 2 saw 200 people gathered for the all-day industry workshop at Bridgewater Place Event Center Knoxville. This in-person event gave industry professionals an opportunity to network, re-connect with colleagues, and interact with students and interns interested in career opportunities.
N.OW. featured panel discussions on the opportunities and issues around these four key topics:
- Advanced Reactors: Lessons Learned in the Early Days of Advanced Reactors
- Nuclear Fuels: Nuclear Fuel Demand and Development
- Radioisotopes: Impact and Processes of Radioisotope Production
- Nuclear Workforce: Workforce Initiatives and Opportunities Available to the Nuclear Industry in East Tennessee
Keynote presentations were given by:
- Jon Carmack, Senior Technical Advisor to the Assistant Secretary of Nuclear Energy, U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy
- Greg Boerschig, Vice President of the Clinch River Project for the Tennessee Valley Authority
- Jon Ball, Executive Vice President of GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy
NOW Supporters had many opportunities to promote their company, from pre-event marketing to exhibiting at the event. These sponsors/exhibitors were also able to interact with the students/interns and post-doctoral candidates mentioned above as they dropped in throughout the day in a “job fair” type of manner.
We appreciate all of our attendees, speakers, and supporters. Both events had a fun and exciting energy around them. We look forward to seeing everyone next year!