Source: DOE | Release | February 12, 2019
ADVANCING TECHNOLOGY: President Trump is directing the Federal Government to prioritize research and development of America’s artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities.
- Today, President Trump launched his American AI Initiative that directs Federal agencies to prioritize investments in research and development of AI.
- The Initiative focuses Federal Government resources toward developing AI technology and ensuring that the next great AI inventions are made in the United States. Highlights include:
- Unleashing innovation in AI by supporting long-term research and increasing access to Federal data and computing resources for America’s AI researchers;
- Promoting a responsible approach to AI by encouraging transformative applications of AI, while continually improving outcomes for workers and users alike;
- Preparing America’s workforce for the jobs of the future by directing Federal agencies to help Americans gain AI-relevant skills and promoting Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education;
- Directing regulatory agencies to establish guidance for AI development and use across technologies and industrial sectors;
- Calling upon the National Institute of Standards and Technology to lead the development of appropriate technical and safety standards for AI systems; and
- Protecting America’s advantage in AI by promoting an international environment that supports American AI research and industries while securing critical AI technology.
DRIVING BREAKTHROUGHS: Developing America’s ability to leverage AI is critical to increasing prosperity, enhancing our national and economic security, and protecting our values.
- AI promises great benefits for American workers, with the potential to improve safety and increase productivity.
- Investment in AI is critical to creating the industries of the future like autonomous cars, industrial robots, algorithms for disease diagnosis, and more.
- Additionally, maintaining our Nation’s global leadership in AI will ensure that the technology is developed in a manner consistent with our Nation’s values, policies, and priorities.
- However, our Nation urgently needs workers and businesses skilled in AI and capable of leading our country’s development and application of AI into the future.
- AI must also be developed in a way that does not compromise our American values, civil liberties, or freedoms.
- Rapid technological innovation can lead to radical improvements in society and quality of life.
VISIONARY LEADERSHIP: President Trump is committed to enacting policies that promote and protect American leadership in technological development and innovation.
- President Trump has directed his Administration to take action to promote technical education and apprenticeships for American workers.
- The President has taken numerous steps to promote high quality STEM and computer science education in our schools and universities, with a particular focus on women and girls.
- The President is also protecting our National Security Innovation Base against those who illicitly acquire America’s hard-earned intellectual property.
“Today President Trump reaffirmed this Administration’s commitment to ensuring the United States leads the world in our Artificial Intelligence capabilities. The Department of Energy has long been a leader in high performance computing, and currently possesses five of the ten fastest supercomputers in the world. Through this Executive Order, the President has given DOE a mandate to further utilize our world class computing infrastructure to build upon and accelerate America’s existing AI research. DOE’s Artificial Intelligence program will provide the unique ability to analyze massive datasets and create intelligent software to accelerate the pace of discovery in a broad variety of areas including Energy, Science and Defense. The crosscutting applications for AI research are vast and include oil and gas exploration, grid management, precision medicine and much more. Put simply, making these world class tools more accessible to America’s Artificial Intelligence experts will change the world.”
“Since the Manhattan Project, DOE and its predecessor agencies have been leaders in advanced computing. The rapidly evolving tools of artificial intelligence will be critical to addressing the many challenges facing our nation now and into the future. With President Trump and Secretary Perry’s leadership, DOE is excited to help ensure that the U.S. remains a world leader in this critical scientific field.”