The Howard H. Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy is a nonpartisan public policy center, located on the campus of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. The Center aims to provide policy makers, citizens, scholars, and students with the information and skills necessary to work effectively within our political system and to serve our local, state, national, and global communities.
Below is their list of lectures for this fall. You can access their website here.
Howard Baker Center Fall 2019 Events
All of the events are free and open to the campus community and public.
- Friday, Aug. 30 | 10:00-11:00 am | HBC Room 202 | Baker Cafe: “Leading Through Tragedy,” with Dr. Joe Jarret, UTK
- Thursday, Sept. 5 | 1:00-2:30 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Energy & Environment Forum: “Managing Biological Invasions: Progress, Problems, and Polemics” with Dr. Daniel Simberloff, UTK
- Monday, Sept. 9 | 5:00-6:00 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Global Security Lecture: “Islam & Democracy in the Age of Trump” with Dr. Tarek Masoud, John F. Kennedy School of Government-Harvard University | Co-sponsor: Middle East Studies
- Tuesday, Sept. 17 | 3:00-4:30 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Leadership & Governance Constitution Day: “The 19th Amendment 100 Years Later” Panel | Co-sponsor: College of Law; Department of Political Science, UTK; Phi Beta Kappa
- Friday, Sept. 20 | 10:00-11:00 am | HBC room 202 | Baker Cafe: “TN Voting – A Look Ahead to 2020” with Dr. Katie Cahill, UTK
- Monday, Sept. 23 | 1:00-2:30 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Energy & Environment Forum: “Science and Innovation at The Nature Conservancy – Collaboration Efforts to Tackle Global Challenges & Advance a Shared Conservation Agenda” with Dr. Hugh Possingham, The Nature Conservancy & University Of Queensland | Co-sponsors: Ecology & Evolutionary Biology; Arts & Sciences
- Tuesday, Oct. 1 | 1:00-2:30 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Energy & Environment Distinguished Lecture: “An Unwitting Combatant’s Reflection on How to Start a Trade War” with Dr. Tim Fitzgerald, Texas Tech University
- Thursday, Oct. 10 | 1:00-2:30 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Energy & Environment Forum: “Ending Extreme Poverty Without Endangering Ecosystems” with Dr. Paul Ferraro, Johns Hopkins University | Co-sponsor: Department of Economics
- Monday, Oct. 14 | 5:00-6:00 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Ashe Lecture: “Venezuela: Beginning of the End, or End of the Beginning?” with Ambassador William Brownfield (Chile, Colombia, & Venezuela)
- Thursday, Oct. 24 | 5:00-6:00 pm | Toyota Auditorium | Ashe Lecture with Deputy Assistant Secretary Andrew Peek (Iraq & Iran) Monday,
- Monday, Nov. 4 | TBD | Toyota Auditorium | Leadership & Governance Lecture “Rigged: The Voter Suppression Playbook” with Tim Smith, American Issues Initiative
- Friday, Nov. 22 | 10:00-11:00 am | HBC Room 202 | Baker Cafe: “Critical Materials and Effects on National Security,” with Dr. Deborah Penchoff, UTK
Guests may park in the Vol Hall Garage on White Avenue at no charge by requesting a parking voucher from Baker Center staff at the event.
Howard H. Baker Jr Center for Public Policy
1640 Cumberland Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37996