The engineering and construction leader secures spot on coveted list for sixth time.
CH2M HILL, a global full-service consulting, design, construction, and operations firm, has been named to the 2013 FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list. This is the sixth time CH2M HILL has earned a place on the coveted list. The full list will be published in the magazine’s January 21 issue.
CH2M HILL has over 180 employees in its Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and Nashville offices which have provided a wide range of professional services to clients within the local area for over 30 years including Alcoa, Inc., Arnold Air Force Base, Bush Brothers & Company, Department of Energy, Knoxville Utilities Board, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee Valley Authority, The University of Tennessee, Y-12 National Security Complex and many others.
“This recognition is a terrific accomplishment by our employees, and it is also motivation for each of us to work even harder to deliver the best client experience and to create and foster the best work environment,” says Lee McIntire, CH2M HILL chairman and CEOIn addition to the firm’s unique employee ownership program and culture embodied in its Little Yellow Book, CH2M HILL was recognized for the following accomplishments to foster a great workplace:
• Employees in the Knoxville & Oak Ridge offices formed a Community Partners Team to facilitate community involvement among its employees. Most recently, employees supported the Second Harvest Food Bank with a donation in lieu of an employee holiday party.
• Launching The CH2M HILL Way Experience, an interactive experience using multi-media to bring the company’s culture to life. The experience focuses on sustainability, community, our people, learning, and safety and wellness.
• Deploying a new CH2M HILL University Web site, using a “back to school” theme featuring its eight schools of learning.
• Promoting transparency between senior leaders and employees.
• Educating employees about detailed financial topics through a new Chalk Talk video series. The videos make it easy for employees to understand how the business works and its overall business strategy.
CH2M HILL’s Tennessee Area Manager, Robert Cook, added, “I’m really excited about the creation of our local Community Partners Team. The team has worked hard to encourage and facilitate corporate and employee investment in our community.”
Surveyed employees gave CH2M HILL its highest marks in the five Great Place to Work® Model© Dimensions in the categories of Pride and Camaraderie.
To pick the 100 Best Companies to Work For, FORTUNE partners with the Great Place to Work Institute to conduct the most extensive employee survey in corporate America: 259 firms participated in this year’s survey. More than 277,000 employees at those companies responded to a survey created by the institute, a global research and consulting firm operating in 45 countries around the world. Two-thirds of a company’s score is based on the results of the institute’s Trust Index survey, which is sent to a random sample of employees from each company. The survey asks questions related to their attitudes about management’s credibility, job satisfaction, and camaraderie. The other third is based on responses to the institute’s Culture Audit, which includes detailed questions about pay and benefit programs and a series of open-ended questions about hiring practices, methods of internal communication, training, recognition programs, and diversity efforts. After evaluations are completed, if news about a company comes to light that may significantly damage employees’ faith in management, we may exclude it from the list. Any company that is at least five years old and has more than 1,000 U.S. employees is eligible.
Source: CH2M HILL | January 17, 2013