The 2021 ETEC Work Plan
Our mission remains to support the federal facilities in the region and foster economic growth in partnership with those assets. Telling our story, connecting people, looking for new opportunities is all part of what we do daily.
Each year the Council’s leadership establishes a living work plan that focuses our collective efforts on growing the federal missions in East Tennessee, and creating opportunities for economic growth around those missions.
Fundamental to that work is communication–weekly meetings and communications to share what is going on inside the federal programs, and also those factors that create new opportunities in the private sector. See our calendar section on this site for updates on our meetings and special events.
Also, we believe it is important to celebrate the successes of our members and outstanding individuals in our community (See the Order of the Muddy Boot and the Postma Young Professional Medal), and we find ways throughout the year to honor businesses for their good work.
The Council also advocates for new programs and new missions in the federal complex in Oak Ridge.
Each year stakeholder meetings are held to formulate the plan.
Below are ETEC’s priorities for 2021
Supporting the efforts of the Department of Energy’s (DOE) M&O Contractors. With two major contractor related competitions underway, smooth transitions are important:
- UT Battelle/Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s priorities for the coming year include:
- Second Target Station (STS) at the Spallation Neutron Source (SNS)
- Frontier Exascale Supercomputing Program
- Nuclear Infrastructure (critical for isotopes)
- High Flux Isotope Reactor (HFIR)
- Applied energy programs, such as Manufacturing Demonstration Facility(MDF)
- Consolidate Nuclear Security (CNS)/ Y-12 National Security Complex’s priorities for the coming year include:
- A smooth transition to the new contractor
- Lithium Processing Facility (LPF)
- New training facilities
- Developmental engineering
- West End Protected Area Reduction (WEPAR) Project
- Uranium Processing Facility (UPF)
- UCOR/DOE’s Oak Ridge Environmental Managements priorities as outlined in the Go East Document: http://ucor.com/docs/2020StrategicPlan/index.html
- A key issue this year will be moving forward with the waste disposal cell. DOE, the state and EPA are continuing to work toward a decision that will allow us to continue the aggressive clean-up of the Oak Ridge
- Work to enhance the efforts to grow the regional economy by helping to fill the gaps as identified in the TechStars Report (https://www.knoxmetroassessment.com/).
- Support regional efforts to recruit industry through the partnership offices of our
- Support new higher education initiatives at the University of Tennessee, our community colleges: Pellissippi State Community College (PSTCC), Roane State Community College (RSTCC), and elsewhere
- The Oak Ridge Institute is a great new community asset.
DOE’s Economic Impact in Tennessee Study:
- Complete a study on the DOE’s economic impact on the State of Tennessee in FY 2020. This study is a partnership between ETEC, the University of Tennessee (UT), and Piper Communications.
- These studies allow us and others to tell the story to elected officials, CEOs, and regional leaders in a comprehensive
Telling the Story of Economic Progress in East Tennessee:
- Continue to convene our membership and partners in whatever way possible.
- Continue to champion East Tennessee.
- Serve as a catalyst for economic growth in whatever way we can.
- Celebrate our successes.
AMSE – American Museum of Science & Energy
CROET – Community Reuse Organization of East Tennessee
DOE – Department of Energy
ETEC – East Tennessee Economic Council
ETTP – East Tennessee Technology Park
IACMI – Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation
NEI – Nuclear Energy Institute
ORAU – Oak Ridge Associated Universities
OREM – Oak Ridge Environmental Management
ORISE – Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
ORNL – Oak Ridge National Laboratory
TCAT – Tennessee College of Applied Technology
TVA – Tennessee Valley Authority
UT – University of Tennessee
Y-12 – Y-12 National Security Complex
Other initiatives that ETEC encourages: